Program dates, admissions process, and tuition & financing information
PrepMD offers rolling admissions and 3 sessions per year. Of each 24-week session, the first 9 weeks is offered online. During the following 16 weeks, the students need to be in Boston area for full-time hands-on training and clinical rotations.
PrepMD offers a training experience for individuals wishing to seek rewarding careers within the medical device industry or the healthcare sector as clinical specialists. PrepMD accepts and reviews applications for its Winter, Spring, and Fall training sessions on a rolling basis. We are able to accept applications from U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
2020 Spring Session
Apr 20, 2020 – Professional Development and Orientation Week (online)
Apr 27, 2020 – Phase 1 Core Concepts (online: distance learning)
Jun 22, 2020 – Phase 2 Pre-Clinicals (onsite; Boston area)
Jul 20, 2020 – Phase 3 Clinical Rotations (Boston area medical centers)
Oct 1, 2020 – Graduation
2020 Fall Session
Aug 17, 2020 – Professional Development and Orientation Week (online)
Aug 24, 2020 – Phase 1 Core Concepts (online: distance learning)
Oct 19, 2020 – Phase 2 Pre-Clinicals (onsite; Boston area)
Nov 16, 2020 – Phase 3 Clinical Rotations (Boston area medical centers)
Feb 11, 2021 – Graduation
2021 Winter Session
December 28, 2020 – Professional Development and Orientation Week (online)
January 4, 2021 – Phase 1 Core Concepts (online: distance learning)
March 1, 2021 – Phase 2 Pre-Clinicals (onsite: Boston area)
March 29, 2021 – Phase 3 Clinical Rotations (Boston area medical centers)
June 10, 2021 – Graduation
Please note that all students will be participating in clinical rotations and must provide documentation demonstrating up-to-date immunizations upon acceptance into the program.
Admissions Process & Requirements
PrepMD is a very academically rigorous training program, with a strict selection process and therefore applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree or have substantial healthcare or medical device experience. We are able to accept applications from U.S. citizens and permanent residents only. PrepMD students must achieve a defined minimum academic performance during the program. Hiring managers who come to PrepMD to hire our graduates know that we are committed to growing the talent pool for the medical device industry and the healthcare sector, so we select our students for success.
- an online application
- official transcripts
- two letters of recommendation
- formal interview – online or in person
Applicants choosing to interview online will be asked for permission to record the interview, so the interview may be reviewed by the entire faculty committee. PrepMD manages admissions on a rolling basis, with notification within 2 weeks of the interview.
Applicants are screened for:
- Academic Background: We favor candidates whose academic or professional backgrounds have laid a foundation of skills necessary for competence as a medical device specialist. This includes life sciences, nursing and engineering graduates.
- Professional Experience: While many of our students are recent college graduates, some have post-collegiate work experience and are looking to change fields. We prefer professionals with clinical, pharmaceutical, and other health care or business-related experience.
- Personal Qualities: We look for candidates who are predisposed to be high achievers, with strong intellectual capabilities and exceptional initiative.
- Geographic Flexibility: Ideal candidates are open to working in many different areas of the country.
The PrepMD Interview
Applicants participate in a pre-screening phone meeting with an Admissions team member to answer questions and provide preparation guidelines for the formal in-person or online interview. Candidates are interviewed by a PrepMD faculty member who will be looking to gauge academic capabilities, presentation skills, enthusiasm and commitment to entering into an academically intense training program and a highly competitive career field. Applicants will be assessed on their capability to learn, retain, and communicate complex cardiac anatomy and physiology information.
Interview Preparation Resources:
- The Cardiac Clinical Specialist 101 course – Request free access: email@example.com
- Cardiac Conduction System video: an overview of the basic functions of the heart
- Cardiac Conditions and therapies: Pacemakers and ICDs; Cardiac Ablations
- Cardiac Clinical Specialist careers: Understand the career path options and typical job responsibilities
- PrepMD Program: Understand the three phases of the training program
- Why pursue a medical device career: PrepMD co-founder video overview of the career and the training program
- Top 10 cardiac technology companies: 2019 article outlines the major cardiac device companies.
Tuition & Fees
The total cost for a six-month PrepMD Training Program (Winter, Spring, or Fall) is $31,495:
Total Program Cost: $31,495
Program Tuition: $30,000
Total non-refundable fees: $1,495, as follows
- Books, Online Technologies & Software License Fees $650.00
- Clinical Rotation Setup Fees (e.g., immunization screenings) $700.00
- Dosimeter Badges & Reading Fee $20.00
- Background Check Fee $75.00
- Administrative Fee $50.00
A deposit of $2,500 will be required on or before the date indicated on the acceptance letter to reserve a spot. The remaining balance is due on the date indicated on the student’s formal acceptance letter.
Housing & Other Expenses
Additional expenses the students need to consider include housing, meal expenses, and insurance (personal, health, and auto). PrepMD accepted students receive guidance on selecting short-term lease apartments and condominiums, located within 2 miles of the training facility, including furnished and unfurnished options. Students are able to take advantage of PrepMD’s long-standing relationships with apartment complexes in the immediate area, who offer discounted rates and month-to-month lease options to our students. Costs for room and board are estimated at $1,500 to $1,800 per month accordingly.
If a student withdraws or is dismissed from the program for any reason, the refund to the student will be as outlined in the refund policy.
Meritize offers loans to accepted PrepMD applicants. Students are able to finance up to $40,250, covering the total cost of attending the program which includes tuition & fees and maximum expected living expenses. Download the Meritize financial information brochure.
Meritize Pre-Approval: https://apply.meritize.com
With a Meritize loan, enhance your credit evaluation and improve your loan options by sharing your academic, military or work achievements. Providing this information lets you get credit for your merit and fund your education.
- Use your education, military and work experience to enhance your credit and improve your loan options
- Get pre-approved in minutes
- Fund the full cost of tuition on your own merit
- Choose affordable fixed or variable rates
- Select the repayment option that works best for you while you attend school
- Avoid prepayment penalty fees if you choose to pay your loan off early
- Sign up for Autopay and receive an automatic 0.25% discount off your interest rate
- Get exclusive access to free Meritize Career Services for career coaching and job search support
The PrepMD refund policy for the 24-week training program is outlined below. If the student withdraws or is dismissed from the program for any reason, the refund to the student will be the following:
|PrepMD Refund Details|
Refund Law (as per M.G.L. Chapter 255, Section 13K)
|Winter 2020||Spring 2020||Fall 2020|
|1. You may terminate this agreement at any time||yes||yes||yes|
|2. If you terminate this agreement within five days you will receive a refund of all monies paid, provided that you have not commenced the program.|
Refund Amount: $31,495
|5th day after both parties have signed the contract||5th day after both parties have signed the contract||5th day after both parties have signed the contract|
|3. If you subsequently terminate this agreement prior to the commencement of the program, you will receive a refund of all monies paid, less the actual reasonable administrative and non-reusable supplies or equipment costs.|
Refund Amount: $30,000
|Program start date: 12/30/2019||Program start date: 04/20/2020||Program start date: 08/17/2020
| If you terminate this agreement during the first quarter of the program, you will receive a refund of at least seventy-five percent of the tuition, less the actual reasonable administrative and non-reusable supplies or equipment costs.|
Refund Amount: $22,500
|Last date first quarter: 02/09/2020||Last date first quarter:05/31/2020||Last date first quarter:09/27/2020
|If you terminate this agreement during the second quarter of the program, you will receive a refund of at least fifty per cent of the tuition, less the actual reasonable administrative and non-reusable supplies or equipment costs.|
Refund Amount: $15,000
|Last date second quarter: 03/21/2020||Last date second quarter: 07/11/2020||Last date second quarter: 11/08/2020|
|If you terminate this agreement during the third quarter of the program, you will receive a refund of at least twenty-five percent of the tuition, less the actual reasonable administrative and non-reusable supplies or equipment costs.|
Refund Amount: $7,500
|Last date third quarter: 05/01/2020||Last date third quarter: 08/21/2020||Last date third quarter: 12/20/2020|
|If you terminate this agreement after the initial five-day period, you will be responsible for actual reasonable costs including administrative costs of $50, and actual reasonable costs of non-reusable supplies or equipment which include books, iPad and software license fees, clinical rotation fee, Dosimeter badges & reading fees, and background check fee.||5th day after both parties have signed the contract||5th day after both parties have signed the contract||5th day after both parties have signed the contract|
|If you wish to terminate this agreement, you must inform the school in writing of your termination, which will become effective on the day, such writing is mailed.||yes||yes||yes|
|The school is not obligated to provide any refund if you terminate this agreement during the fourth quarter of the program.||First day of fourth quarter: 05/02/2020||First day of fourth quarter: 08/22/2020||First day of fourth quarter: 01/04/2021|
PrepMD LLC Policy Statements pursuant to 603 CMR 3.11 and 603 CMR 3.18 are included at the link below.
98% Placement Rate
Want a career that changes lives?
Train for a rewarding career as a
cardiac clinical specialist.